In this 4 Week ONLINE course, working from photographs, students will learn the fundamentals of portrait painting with the goal of achieving strong likeness and evoking the expression and character of the sitter. Technical focus will be on anatomy, proportion, value, colour, shape, form and edges. Students will complete one to two paintings and will acquire the skills to create accurate and expressive portraits.
4 Weeks: Base Tuition: $185
TSA will deliver this course using ZOOM. Prior to the course session, you will receive an invitation for the session(s) via email. You'll need a laptop, desktop or tablet, internet connection with good bandwidth and headset (either wired or wireless). We recommend that you set up a free ZOOM account and be familiar with ZOOM prior to the class beginning. Here is a link to help you get started: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/200101697Notes: Instructor Matthew Tarini is an oil painter who’s subject matter consists of cityscapes, still life, landscapes and figurative work. Matt has been an instructor at Western University and the University of Alberta and has taught workshops across the country. He has done private and public commissions, including portraits for University of Toronto and Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives. He has appeared on the television show, Star Portraits and has done both solo and numerous group shows across Canada, including a show at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Calgary. His work is in collections throughout Canada and internationally. Matthew Tarini's Website http://www.matthewtarini.com/
|Code||Instructor||Dates & Time||Days||Length||Register|
|010||Matt Tarini||Aug. 4, 2020 to Aug. 25, 2020|
TERM - ONLINE Summer 2020
10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Please log in to join wait list
Materials will be discussed the first day of class.
Please keep all purchase receipts in case you need to return materials.
Recommended Materials for Portrait Painting
* I would recommend 37 ml tubes, artist quality oil paints from the following brands: Winsor and Newton, Gamblin, Natural Pigments, Old Holland, or Williamsburg.
* In acrylics, my favourite brand is Professional Acrylics by Winsor and Newton, but Liquatex or Golden will do well also.
* This is my palette, but more colours (or fewer) in oil or acrylic are welcome!
* For day 1, please have a sketchbook and later we can discuss future projects and supports at that point.
* I use a variety of soft round and long flat brushes that are both natural hair and synthetic. Please feel free to bring a wide variety of bristle and soft brushes that you have or that you like to use – many different brushes can accomplish the same task. Below are good starter kits.