In this course, students will look at a variety of historic and contemporary approaches to cityscape painting in order to create interesting and dynamic paintings of their own. As a class we will explore some of the city, create sketches and take photographs. Students will then work from their photo reference and explore the complexities of cityscape painting including composition, perspective, colour mixing and paint application to achieve transitions, contrast and a sense of depth.
10 Weeks: Base Tuition: $422Notes: No Class on May 18, 2020 (Victoria Day).
Please keep all purchase receipts in case you need to return materials.
* I would recommend 37 ml tubes, artist quality oil paints from the following brands: Winsor and Newton, Gamblin, Natural Pigments, Old Holland, Williamsburg.
* In acrylics, my favourite brand is Professional Acrylics by Winsor and Newton, but Liquatex, Golden will do well too.
* This is my palette, but more colours (or fewer) in oil or acrylic are welcome!
* For day 1, please bring just your sketchbook and later we can discuss future projects and supports at that point.
* I use a variety of soft round and long flat brushes that are both natural hair and synthetic. Please feel free to bring a wide variety of bristle and soft brushes that you have or that you like to use – many different brushes can accomplish the same task. Below are good starter kits.